Thread: Turning a Jetta turd into a sweet ride

Turning a Jetta turd into a sweet ride

So, I've got a dream... a dream of a sweet, greasy ride that will help me with my midlife crisis. It's called a Smyth Performance G3F ("Go Green, Go Fast") and here's what it looks like:

And they are working on a truck kit now as well. Here's the concept picture:

-----
    '02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~190Kmi total; ~105Kmi on WVO
    Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
    WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
    ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator

'03 Jetta TDI Wagon 5spd; ~270Kmi; ~115Kmi on WVO
    Greasecar kit + co-pilot, aux coolant pump, FPHE, temp sensor mod
    Malone Stg2; .205's; 11mmIP; VR6 Clutch; EGR Delete; Panzer FMJ; Frostheater

I just spoke to Mr Smyth a few hours ago about his kits. He will not have these at SEMA this year. He will let me know when the first Pick up kits are avail. He used to own Factory 5 ..The cobra kit people. He sold out to his brother and this is his latest gig. Shop right next to Factory Five.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
    He used to own Factory 5 ..The cobra kit people. He sold out to his brother and this is his latest gig. Shop right next to Factory Five.
    That makes it even cooler... I WANT ONE!!!!!!! There are so many times I feel silly driving my +10k lb truck around when this car is all I need. I know a girl who could buy me one, but I'd probably have to give her the GF title and I just don't wanna go there!! ;)
    2001 F350 PSD, 4x4, CC, flatbed - custom leather seats, big honkin' bumper, '07 facelift, 160cc injectors, T4/S366 turbo and much more... 180k miles on WVO so far!
    2000 Excursion Limited Edition, PSD, 4x4 - 120k miles on WVO. Wrecked 5/13 - RIP. :(

veggiegarage.com authorized installer

Yes - Mark Smith - he knows what he's doing. I've been following his Facebook page since the beginning. It has thousands of followers. In fact, he hasn't spent a dime on advertising - he's built his entire biz using the interest generated by folks watching him build his biz, go through the various iterations of prototypes, etc. I think it speaks to how we all want to root for someone to succeed, you know? He's laying it out there for the world to watch, confident he's going to have a winner in the end. And all these VW-lovers are just cheering him on along the way. He's a big biodiesel fan - he had converted his dual-motor runabout to diesel so he could run it on bio. All along he's been favoring the TDI motor because he wants to have a 60-mpg sports car that can run on a bio fuel.

I think there is a lot more interest in the truck kit because of the price point - $3500 vs. $10K - and less complexity since you don't have to move the motor to the rear, etc. Seems like you guys could generate some great publicity for your enterprise by being the first ones to grease a Jetta TDI truck. And if you blogged it all along the build and linked it with his site, you would be generating good press for him, too. But, just paint it black, okay? ;)
    -----
    '02 7.3L Excursion Limited; ~190Kmi total; ~105Kmi on WVO
    Vegistroke V3 (4/09); HIH, Aux Pump, FPHE (11/10); PHP Gryphon custom; 6637;
    WW; Turbomaster; EBPV delete; 4" exhaust; Terminator HPOP; Tru-cool; Evans NPG+;
    ARI triple-disc TC; V/B-code springs; Bilsteins; 30mm sway bar; 190A alternator

'03 Jetta TDI Wagon 5spd; ~270Kmi; ~115Kmi on WVO
    Greasecar kit + co-pilot, aux coolant pump, FPHE, temp sensor mod
    Malone Stg2; .205's; 11mmIP; VR6 Clutch; EGR Delete; Panzer FMJ; Frostheater

No black cars here. Hot enough in Az without adding black. We did talk about Veggiegarage and doing a Veggie Pickup. I showed this to a good friend of mine that owns a body shop here. He can do the joining of the body parts for me. Mark claims it to be just an 8 hour job.

Turns out my buddy that owns the body shop here is from Detroit. He ran a proto type shop there for many years. His is the shop that built the first driving Prototype of the Super Duty body design.

And I do want something smaller than my truck for parts runs etc.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AzDave View Post
    And I do want something smaller than my truck for parts runs etc.
    That is the PERFECT little shop truck. Not only is it a great size with killer MPG's, etc - but what a LOOKER!!! It stands out like dog balls. Wrap that sucker with www.veggiegarage.com and get noticed. :cool:
    2001 F350 PSD, 4x4, CC, flatbed - custom leather seats, big honkin' bumper, '07 facelift, 160cc injectors, T4/S366 turbo and much more... 180k miles on WVO so far!
    2000 Excursion Limited Edition, PSD, 4x4 - 120k miles on WVO. Wrecked 5/13 - RIP. :(

veggiegarage.com authorized installer